Right Place, Right Time: A Survey of John Upton's Photographs
Jan. 29-Apr. 4, 2020
- Thursday, Feb. 6: Gallery walk-through with John Upton, 12:30-1 PM and preview reception, 5-7 PM, free
Saturday, Feb. 8: Gallery walk-through with John Upton (1:30-2 p.m.), book signing (2-2:30 p.m.), reception (2:30-4:00 p.m.), free
This is the first survey of John Upton's fine art photography. Upton studied with Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Minor White, Dorothea Lange, and Edward Weston at the California School of Fine Arts in the early 1950s. In 1955 he was the first resident student of Minor White in Rochester, New York and took courses in the history of photography from famed photo art historian, Beaumont Newhall. In the 1960s he became Chair of the Photography Department at Orange Coast College, retiring in 1999. In 1976, he coauthored, with Barbara London, the seminal college textbook PHOTOGRAPHY now in its 12th edition with over 1.5 million copies in print. John Upton has been in the right place at the right time in the history of twentieth century photography. The exhibition is accompanied by a catalog with essays. Concurrent with Photo L.A. art fair, Jan. 30-Feb. 2.
John Upton Brochure.pdf
PRESS RELEASE_John Upton Exhibition.pdf
John Upton Limited Edition Fundraising Print Available.pdf
Immersion: Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality from OCC Students and Invited Artists
Jan. 29-Apr. 4, 2020
- Thursday, Feb. 6: preview reception, 5-7 PM, free
- Saturday, Feb. 8: Gallery walk-through with curators (1:00-1:30 p.m.), followed by additional main gallery events and reception (1:30-4:00 p.m.), free
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: Gallery tour with curators, 12:15-1:00 p.m., free
- Wednesday, Mar. 18: Artist talks and demos, 12:15-1:00 p.m., free
A group exhibition of work by OCC students and invited artists coming out of OCC's new Immersive Media (VR/AR) program. They explore immersive technology in which the physical world is emulated through a virtual or simulated world. Co-curated by Matthew Newman, OCC Professor of Film & Television's VR and AR courses, and Scott Broberg, Film & Television and Immersive Media Specialist, who founded the program.
PRESS RELEASE_Immersion Exhibition.pdf