The Pilates Instructor Certificate of Achievement prepares the student to teach in a privately owned dance, fitness or Pilates studio, recreational facility, or health club. The student takes theory and technique courses on Pilates apparatus taught by Pilates certified specialists and learns methods to determine appropriate conditioning programs for people of all ages and physical conditions.
To prepare the student for employment, instruction uses both classroom work with a variety of instructional methods (lecture, lab/demonstration, independent and group projects), and internship experiences in dance and fitness facilities.
Upon completion of this certificate the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate and/or identify beginning through advanced Pilates exercises for mat and apparatus.
- Describe the basic principles of Pilates and explain their relevance to a Pilates program.
- Design a lesson plan for a Pilates mat and apparatus class.
- Teach a Pilates class using appropriate cueing and demonstration.
- Identify common alignment problems and describe proper modifications and/or solutions.
Certificate of Achievement
Complete the Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Arts Graduation Requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
Current First Aid/CPR certification