The World Dance Instructor certificate program trains students for positions in the commercial and artistic areas of dance. Graduates of the program are qualified as instructors in private studios, recreation or other community dance programs, and act as consultants, lecturers, or performers with an emphasis on the ethnic dance forms, primarily Mid-Eastern, Flamenco, Spanish Classical, East Indian, or African (Nigeria/Ghana). The Dance Department also recommends that students complete their General Education Requirements for an Associate Degree.
Students are able to apply principles of movement and creativity to all forms of dance, demonstrate skills of instructing dance to communicate through movement and words, and apply information learned in other disciplines to the art form of dance.
Instruction will utilize both classroom work, using a variety of instructional methods (lecture, lab/demonstration, independent and group projects) and internship experiences in business/industry to prepare the student for job requirements.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective movement principles and the elements of
- space, shape, energy and rhythm/time.
- Perform at least one of the following world dance forms with appropriate vocabulary skills and styling at an intermediate/advanced level: Flamenco, Classical Indian Dance, African Dance, and Middle Eastern Dance.
- Demonstrate proficiency in vocabulary, traditions, and cultural knowledge for three or more World Dance forms studied at OCC.
- Communicate effectively through movement and words.
- Demonstrate skills required to work in commercial or artistic areas of ethnic dance.
Certificate of Achievement
Certificate of Achievement & Associate Degree
Complete the Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Arts Graduation Requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.