Enrollment in the OCC Honors Program is not automatic.
Students wishing to enroll must meet all admission criteria (see below), attend an Honors Orientation, and submit an application. Applications will be accepted both from students currently enrolled in honors sections as well as from those who have not yet taken honors classes. Because past performance does not always indicate future potential, we encourage students who do not currently qualify for admission into the Program (see below) to work toward qualification by improving their GPA's in honors and non-honors courses, completing their English requirement and/or removing any derogatory grades from their transcripts. Please note that important changes to enrollment eligibility, certification and completion requirements went into effect on July 1, 2012. Details appear below.
In order to be admitted into the Program, ALL APPLICANTS must:
- Be enrolled in classes at OCC
- Be in good standing with the Dean of Student Services' Office;
- Complete an Honors Orientation (follow the link on the left side of this page to "Honors Orientation" for a schedule of upcoming meetings).
- Provide evidence that the English composition requirement has been met in at least ONE of the two following ways:
- Completion of English 100 (Freshman Composition), 101/101H, 102/102H, or 109 with a grade of A or B - OCC or other college transcript
- Exemption from English 100 with an AP exam score of 3 or higher - copy of AP scores or notation of higher placement on OCC transcript
AND, in addition:
Applicants who graduated from high school less than a year ago and who have earned fewer than 12 units in letter-graded college coursework (at OCC and/or anywhere else, whether a college or university) must:
- Have a minimum final high school GPA of 3.25 (grades 9-12, weighted or unweighted)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 in all* college coursework completed
- Submit a copy of their final high school transcript with the application
Applicants who have earned 12 or more units of letter-graded college coursework (at OCC or any other college or university) must:
- Have a minimum 3.25 GPA in all* college coursework completed
* When turning in the application, students must submit transcripts for ALL colleges attended. Any derogatory grades (D, F, NC/NP) earned at any time within the Coast Community College District, or at other colleges during the two years prior to entering any of the Coast Community College District institutions must be "lined out" or "excluded." Exceptions will be granted through petition only. Except in cases of approved appeals, "Incomplete” grades of ID, IF, or INP will automatically disqualify applicants from immediate admission to the Honors Program; the student may apply once the course has been completed and the final grade has been recorded on the transcript. Grades of IC or IB may be acceptable if the potential lowest final grade will not bring the cumulative GPA below 3.25
follow directions to request a seat in an upcoming Honors Orientation (see link at left). An application will be forwarded to you as part of your reservation confirmation. Submit your application anytime after the completion of your Honors Orientation.
The Orange Coast College Honors Program
Creating a Community of Scholars