Special recognition is awarded to transferring or graduating students who meet the following requirements:
- Certification for Honors transfer status requires that students first meet the general requirements for transfer to the university, and be on target to complete their major requirements as well as the requirements for alternate majors identified on the original application for transfer.
- Complete at least 15 Honors units distributed over at least three different subject areas. Earn a letter grade in each course (complete at least 12* of the 15 honors units BEFORE the start of your final spring semester at OCC to qualify for honors transfer certification)
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 in all transferable coursework, including courses taken at other institutions. (This requirement must be met immediately prior to beginning the final spring semester at OCC for certification.)
- Earn a minimum grade of B in at least one of the following English composition courses: Engl A100, A101/A101H, A102/102H, or A109; OR earn exemption from Engl A100 with an AP score of 3 or higher
- Show evidence that any remaining honors coursework required for certification is in progress during the final semester at OCC. Students are welcome to go over the minimum honors unit requirement or take more than the remaining required units in their final semester (certification for honors transfer priority consideration depends on at least 12 honors units being complete before the start of the final semester with any remaining units "in progress" -- that is, confirmed enrollment in those classes)
- Show a “line out” or “exclusion” for any course with a D, F, or NC/NP (no credit/no pass); this may be accomplished with course repetition for a passing grade and a petition filed with the OCC Records Office to request the exclusion of a substandard grade OR through Academic Renewal, which is addressed at a scheduled appointment with a counselor)
- Possess a transcript free of Incomplete grades that carry the potential of disqualification for certification or recognition of completion, including IB, IC, ID, IF, INP)
- Meet with an honors counselor to review eligibility and submit final paperwork for honors transfer certification by the annual deadline (usually mid-February)
- Resolve any incidents of academic dishonesty or violations of campus conduct policies prior to requesting certification or transcript notation for the completion of the Honors Program. Disciplinary action must have been resolved without temporary or permanent dismissal from the college. Students must be in good standing with the OCC Dean of Students' Office.
*In some cases, students may be granted certification with more than three units of Honors coursework in progress during the final spring semester prior to transfer. Approval through an appeals process is required. The final decision to certify a student will be made by the Honors Counselors and may take up to three weeks. It is critical to petition early to allow enough time between an approval and the required appointment with an Honors Counselor to finalize the application process. To obtain the petition form, please contact the office: Garrison Honors Center - email@example.com
Credit for Honors coursework completed at other institutions:
A maximum of one-half the required UC-transferable semester honors units for certification/completion may be earned at another community college toward completion of the Honors Program at OCC. Check with an Honors Counselor before registering for courses that you may wish to apply to your OCC Honors Program completion.
Certification Forms (2020) and Tentative Deadlines:
UCLA/TAP: meet with an Honors Counselor no later than Friday, Feb 21; complete the form and bring it with you to your appointment (note that if you arrive without your completed application, you will be turned away and required to make a new appointment). Forms will be available from the middle of the Fall semester.
UCI/The Guarantee: meet with an Honors Counselor no later than Thurs, Feb 13 if applying for Honors to Honors transfer (The Guarantee); requires a 3.70 minimum transferable GPA
UCI/Transfer Honors: meet with an Honors Counselor no later than Friday, Feb 21 if applying for regular priority consideration for UCI admission. Complete the form and bring it with you to your appointment. Forms will be available from the middle of the Fall semester.
Note: Students may petition for exceptions to certain Honors Program policies that may otherwise block their enrollment, continuation, or certification/ completion. To find out more about the petition process and request the necessary form, please contact the Honors Office: Phone: 714.432.5601; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit during walk-in hours: Garrison Honors Center