The library provides workshops for students to learn how to do library and information research. Extra credit slips will be available if requested by your teacher. See the syllabus for more information.
Library and Information Research
These 60 minute extra-credit workshops, held in the library's lecture room, will teach library and information research skills using print and electronic resources. They will also introduce the library's services and resources. Student will learn to identify and access the various library and information resources; to identify scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals; to search discipline-specific and advanced electronic resources; to do research on the web; to evaluate search results for credible resources; to cite their sources in either MLA or APA styles; and to understand how the proper use and citation of library and information resources helps avoid plagiarism.
Schedule for Fall 2014
- Monday, Sept. 8, 6 - 7pm
- Wednesday, Sept. 17, 11am - noon
- Saturday, Sept. 20, 11am - noon
- Tuesday, Sept. 23, 3 - 4pm
- Wednesday, Oct. 1, 1 - 2pm
- Wednesday, Oct. 8, 6 - 7pm
- Saturday, Oct. 11, 11am - noon
- Saturday, Oct. 16, 3pm - 4pm
- Thursday, Oct. 23, 11am - noon
- Wednesday, Oct. 29, 6 - 7pm
- Saturday, Nov. 1, 11am - noon
- Thursday, Nov. 6, 11am - noon
- Wednesday, Nov. 12, 3 - 4pm
- Saturday, Nov. 15, 11am - noon
- Wednesday, Nov. 19, 1 - 2pm
- Monday, Dec. 1, 6 - 7pm
For information on these workshops, contact Vinta Oviatt at (714) 432-5885 x21057, email@example.com or contact the Librarian's Reference Desk during the library's open hours at (714) 432-5900.
The ultimate goal or mission of these workshops is based on the ultimate goal or mission of Information Literacy, which is that students learn library and information research skills that make them independent and life-long learners.
Student Learning Outcomes:
When a student has completed these library workshops, he/she will be:
- Aware how to identify, access, and evaluate credible library and information resources using a variety of search strategies.
- Aware how to correctly cite library and information resources and avoid plagiarism.