Welcome! We are excited for you to start the Spring 2021 semester at OCC. Full-term and first eight-week classes begin on Saturday, January 30th. To ensure the health and safety of our campus community, most courses as well as student support services will be offered online or remotely as the OCC campus remains closed to the public at this time. Please keep these steps in mind for a successful start of the semester:
1. VERIFY COURSES: Your Student Class Program in MyCoast is your proof that you registered and paid your fees. It also includes information about your class meeting time and location as well as important deadline dates for each class. Access it by clicking on the "Registration" tab, then under the "Other Student Resources" section, click on "Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill)".
2. ACCESS YOUR SCHOOL EMAIL: Email communications from the college and your instructors will go to your Coast District email account, which is accessible through your MyCoast student portal. Check your email account frequently in the coming weeks!
3. ATTENDANCE: If your class has a "LIVEONLINE" component, you will have set meeting times. If you miss the first class meeting or are late, your instructor may drop you from the class and give away your seat to another student. If your class is fully online, it is important that you follow any instructions by the deadline provided by your instructor.
4. ACCESSING ONLINE CLASSES: Your courses will appear in Canvas on the course start date, at which time you will be able to access course-specific instructions, materials, and communications from your faculty. Access Canvas from the college's main website or by logging on to your MyCoast student portal then clicking on "Canvas/Online Learning System". You can also now use the OCC App to access most portions of your Canvas course!
5. ON A WAITLIST? Check your school email for a waitlist notification or directions from your instructor. If you receive neither by Sunday (1/31), you may email the instructor or the respective Division Office to request instructions on how to attend the first class meeting and get an Add Permit with Add Code. Not all instructors may provide you with an add permit due to class capacity. Add permits have deadlines – be sure to register for class immediately. Please view our instructions on how to register with an Add Code.
6. NEED TEXTBOOKS? Order or rent your textbooks ahead of time. Students can place orders via the Bookstore website for shipment or in-person pick-up at the bookstore service window. Please call 714-432-5896 for available pick-up times. Also note that there may be longer shipping times than usual based on local delivery conditions.
7. NEED A DEVICE? Orange Coast College will provide a limited number of Chromebooks on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students for the duration of semester as the campus transitions to online instruction. All devices checked out should be returned at the end of the semester or renewed for the next term. Complete the Technology Access Form to request one.
8. WITHDRAWAL DEADLINES: Deadlines such as Pass/No Pass and withdrawing without a "W" might not be the same for all classes. Refer to your Student Class Program on MyCoast and/or the Dates To Remember webpage for specific dates for each course.
9. STUDENT SERVICES: Although the campus is temporarily closed, student services are still available to students online, via email, and/or via telephone. You can visit this page for quick links or visit each department's webpage for specific contact information and to see what services are available virtually:
10. OCC CARES: We know that due to COVID-19, many of our students now face heightened financial, physical, emotional, and academic challenges. Orange Coast College cares about our students' success and well-being during these difficult times. We are here to help.
11. OCC APP: Download OCC's app to find out about events and clubs, sync your calendars, browse campus resources, connect with other students, and access Canvas course websites! Find it on the App Store or Google Play Store.
12. PARKING: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the campus is closed with limited access to students, faculty, and staff for those educational programs approved by the campus and the Coast Community College District. Parking permits or daily permits will not be required for the Spring 2021 semester.
13. HOUSING: We are excited that on-campus housing, The Harbour at Orange Coast College is now open for the Spring 2021 semester. Learn more and apply today to live on campus this semester!
14. PLAN FOR NEXT SEMESTER: Contact the Counseling department before the end of the semester to create or update your education plan and identify classes for next semester.
15. LAST SEMESTER? APPLY TO GRADUATE! Even if you complete all of the requirements on your degree plan, you must petition to graduate by March 15.
16. HAVE QUESTIONS? Please call the Answer Center at 714-432-5772, email email@example.com, or chat with us online via Zoom. For registration-related inquiries, please contact the Enrollment Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. All new and incoming students can also contact email@example.com for help with navigating the steps of being a new Pirate.
Thank you for choosing Orange Coast College and have a successful semester!