Welcome! We are excited for you to start the Fall 2021 semester at OCC. Full-term and first eight-week classes begin on Monday, August 30th. OCC is welcoming students back to campus in a phased reopening for the Fall 2021 semester. As part of OCC's phased approach, many offices will be open for in-person services two days per week, gradually increasing hours throughout the semester. A schedule of available in-person services is posted on our website. When coming on campus, masks are required indoors and will be available in your classroom, the Library, and various Student Services offices. While the Coast district has recently announced a vaccine mandate that will be implemented in phases throughout the fall semester, your ability to attend in-person classes this semester will not be impacted.
Please keep these steps in mind for a successful start of the semester:
1. VERIFY COURSES: Your Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill) in MyCoast is your proof that you registered and paid your fees. It also includes information about your class meeting time and location as well as important deadline dates for each class. Access it by clicking on the "Registration" tab, then clicking the link under "Registration Tools".
2. ACCESS YOUR SCHOOL EMAIL: Email communications from the college and your instructors will go to your Coast District email account, which is accessible through your MyCoast student portal. Check your email account frequently in the coming weeks!
3. ACCESSING ONLINE CLASSES: Your courses will appear in Canvas on the course start date, at which time you will be able to access course-specific instructions, materials, and communications from your faculty. Access Canvas from the college's main website or by logging on to your MyCoast student portal then clicking on "Canvas/Online Learning System". You can also now use the OCC App to access most portions of your Canvas course!
4. ATTENDANCE: If your class has a "LIVEONLINE" component, you will have set meeting times. If you miss the first class meeting or are late, your instructor may drop you from the class and give away your seat to another student. If your class is fully online, it is important that you follow any instructions by the deadline provided by your instructor.
5. ON A WAITLIST? Check your school email for a waitlist notification or directions from your instructor. If you receive neither by Sunday, you may email the instructor or the respective Division Office to request instructions on how to attend the first class meeting and get an Add Permit with Add Code. Not all instructors may provide you with an add permit due to class capacity. Add permits have deadlines – be sure to register for class immediately. Please view our instructions on how to register with an Add Code.
6. NEED TEXTBOOKS? Order or rent your textbooks ahead of time. Students can place orders via the Bookstore website for shipment or in-person pick-up at the bookstore service window. The Bookstore is open for in-person textbook purchases on Mondays and Thursdays, 10am-4pm.
7. NEED A DEVICE? We are committed to ensuring that our students have what they need to stay in school and be successful—regardless of the circumstances. All students—regardless of unit count or full-time/part-time status—can request a technology loan if they do not have access to a computer or Internet services. Visit the OCC Library website to request a technology device.
8. WITHDRAWAL DEADLINES: Deadlines such as Pass/No Pass and withdrawing without a "W" might not be the same for all classes. Refer to your Student Class Program on MyCoast and/or the Dates To Remember webpage for specific dates for each course.
9. STUDENT SERVICES: Student services are available in-person again as part of our phased re-opening! Please see the re-opening schedule to see available office hours. You can also visit this page for quick links or visit each department's webpage for specific information on what services are still available virtually:
10. OCC CARES: We know that due to COVID-19, many of our students now face heightened financial, physical, emotional, and academic challenges. Orange Coast College cares about our students' success and well-being during these difficult times. We are here to help.
11. OCC APP: Download OCC's app to find out about events and clubs, sync your calendars, browse campus resources, connect with other students, and access Canvas course websites! Find it on the App Store or Google Play Store.
12. PARKING: Parking permits or daily permits will not be required during the Fall 2021 semester.
13. SMOKE FREE CAMPUS: We want to create a healthy environment for all those who visit our campus. The students, faculty, staff, and administrators of OCC are happy to announce that we are now a 100% smoke and tobacco-free campus.
14. HOUSING: We are excited that on-campus housing, The Harbour at Orange Coast College is now open. Learn more and apply today to live on campus this semester!
15. PLAN FOR NEXT SEMESTER: Contact the Counseling department before the end of the semester to create or update your education plan and identify classes for next semester.
16. LAST SEMESTER? APPLY TO GRADUATE! Even if you complete all of the requirements on your degree plan, you must petition to graduate by November 15.
17. HAVE QUESTIONS? Please call the Answer Center at 714-432-5772, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us online via Zoom. For registration-related inquiries, please contact the Enrollment Center at email@example.com.
Thank you for choosing Orange Coast College and have a successful semester!