When a student elects to drop a class, they may do so up until the
deadline for the last day to withdraw
. Courses have different deadlines depending on the course start and end dates. Deadlines can be verified by viewing or printing your Student Class Program/Web Schedule Bill (via the Registration tab on your MyCoast portal) or on the
Deadlines and Dates to Remember
page. You may also call the Answer Center at (714) 432-5072 during normal business hours to confirm withdrawal deadlines for a course.
It is the student's responsibility to officially drop a class and to verify the drop.
Although instructors may request that a student be dropped for absences, it is NOT the instructor's responsibility to drop students who stop attending a class. Students who never attend a class or stop attending a class at any time, MUST officially drop themselves, according to the deadlines mandated by the state of California. It is also the student's responsibility to verify their withdrawal from a class by the mandated deadlines to drop with a refund, drop without a "W" or drop with a "W". There are no exceptions to the state-mandated deadlines.
You may drop a class as follows:
OPTION 1 (QUICKEST AND PREFERRED METHOD): Online through your MyCoast portal page
NOTE: It his highly recommended that students use Google Chrome as their browser when processing registration changes on the student portal. Safari is not recommended.
- Log into your MyCoast portal page.
- Click on the Registration tab on the left-hand side.
- Click on the "Add or Drop Classes" in the Registration Tools box.
- If you see the Registration home page, click on "Register for Classes".
- If you see the "Select a Term" page, select the term from the "Terms Open for Registration" drop down menu and click "Continue".
- You should now see the registration screen with a Summary box at the bottom right hand corner that displays the status for all of your classes. If you don't see the Summary box, click on the "Panels" button on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Under the Summary box, look for the class that you want to drop. Under the "Action" column for that class, select the available drop option, then click the "Submit" button.
- Important: Verify your drop was processed completely by printing your Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill). You can access the Student Class Program via MyCoast: Registration>Other Student Resources>Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill).
OPTION 2: Submit a withdrawal request via E-mail
If you are unable to drop a class via the MyCoast student portal, you MUST send an email by the deadline date to firstname.lastname@example.org with the information listed below. In order to validate that the request is coming from you, the student, the email must be sent from your Coast (CCCD) student email address (ex: email@example.com). Requests received after the deadline and/or sent from personal email addresses (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) will NOT be honored.
OCC Student ID number
The CRN and name of the course you are attempting to drop
An explanation and screenshot of why you cannot drop via MyCoast portal
OPTION 3: Submitting a Course Withdrawal Form via Mail
Complete, print, and mail aStudent Course Withdrawal Form (postmarked by U.S. Postal Service) to:
Orange Coast College
Attn: Enrollment Center
PO Box 5005
Costa Mesa, Ca 92628-5005
It is recommended that the request be sent via certified mail so that you have a receipt and to confirm delivery. Drops will be posted to your record as of the date of the U.S. Postal Service postmark.
Withdrawal for Medical Reasons or other Extenuating Circumstances
Students needing to drop or withdraw due to medical reasons or extenuating circumstances should follow the above withdrawal procedure. Students may petition for a non-refundable Excused Withdrawal ("EW") by emailing email@example.com. Student petitions must be accompanied by verifiable documentation demonstrating that the extenuating circumstances were beyond their control and prevented them from completing their courses. Students may also call the Dean of Enrollment Services Office at (714) 432-5773 during normal business hours for more information about the Excused Withdrawal Petition.