What is a Prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a class that must be taken before a student can enroll into another class. (Ex. complete ENGL A100 before being able to enroll into ENGL A101)
What is a Co-Requisite?
A co-requisite is a class that must be taken at the same time as another class. (Ex. BIOL A225 and BIOL A225 lab must be taken as the same time).
- Prerequisites and Co-Requisites are enforced at the time of registration
- Students will not be able to enroll into a course that has a prerequisite or co-requisite until the prerequisite or co-requisite requirement has been cleared.
How to Clear a Prerequisite and Co-requisite
In order to clear a prerequisite or co-requisite you will need to submit a Clearance Request Form and attach the proper documentation (i.e. transcripts, test scores) that demonstrates you have completed one of the following:
- College Transcript (Official/Unofficial). Students who have successfully completed a prerequisite course with a C or better from an accredited college or university that is considered an equivalent course at OCC.
Placement Test Scores from another community college. Students have taken English or math placement test scores from a regionally accredited Community College. The test scores must be less than two years old (excludes English as a Second Language ESL).AP Scores. Students who have taken AP tests in English, Psychology and/or Math with a score of 3 or higher. (AP Calculus AB. AP Calculus BC. AP English Literature and Composition. AP English Language and Composition exam. AP Psychology).
- A "C-" grade is not a passing grade at OCC and will not be accepted.
- Attempting a prerequisite class and withdrawing from the class with a "W" does not meet the criteria for clearing a prerequisite (A "W" is a notation not a grade).
To access your AP results please go to www.collegeboard.org. Sign in with your account information or create a new account. Click on the "AP" tab at the top of the page.EAP/ CAASP/SBAC Results. Students who have taken these tests and received the following scores can clear math and English prerequisites: EAP=Ready, CAASP= Status Exceeded, or SBAC English 2682+ orMath 2718+.
Students, who submit a Clearance Request Form and are denied, can challenge a prerequisite based on previous experience or knowledge. Submit a Prerequisite Challenge Form to the respective division office in accordance with the Matriculation guidelines established by the State.
Processing Clearance Forms:
Please allow 3-5 business days for your request to be processed. We encourage you to submit the Clearance Request Form well before your registration date. You can check your registration date by going to MyCoast portal under Registration>Registration Tools>Registration Status & Checklist.
Students may submit unofficial transcripts for prerequisite and co-requisite clearanceONLY. Students MUST submit official transcripts if they wish to receive course credit/units towards Degrees, Certificates or General Education Certification (CSU GE Breadth or IGETC).