The library provides open workshops for students to learn how to do research in the physical and virtual library. Students do not need to make a reservation, and can just drop in. These 60-minute workshops are held in the Library's Lecture Room (go right when you enter the library). Extra credit slips will be provided at the end of each workshop.
These workshops will focus on teaching students how to do basic library research using both print and electronic resources; how to find credible resources; how to know what is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal article; how to search the Library's electronic resources and remotely 24/7; how to cite their sources in either MLA or APA styles; and to understand how the proper use and citation of library and information resources helps them to avoid plagiarism. The skills learned in these workshops enable students to be information competent in their college studies, career, and life.
The following library student workshops are schedule for the Fall 2017 semester:
- Saturday, Sept. 9, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, 6–7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 19, 3–4 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 23, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Tuesday, Sept. 26, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Monday, Oct. 9, 6–7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 11, 3–4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 18, 1–2 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 28, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday, Nov. 1, 1–2 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 4, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday, Nov. 8, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday, Nov. 15, 6–7 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Tuesday, Nov. 21, 3–4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 28, 6–7 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 11 a.m. to Noon
- Monday, Dec. 4, 6–7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 5, 11 am to Noon
For information on the workshops, contact Vinta Oviatt, Instructional Services Librarian, at ext. 21057 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the Library Reference Desk at (714) 432-5900.