The OCC Assessment Center offers the following tests:
- native English
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Chemistry A180
All new students are required to take an English and math placement test prior to enrollment, if enrolling in 6 or more units, taking a class that requires English or math as a prerequisite, and/or trying to receive priority registration.
The native English, ESL, and math tests are not "pass or fail" tests. They simply measure your proficiency in English and math to help you pick the right courses for enrollment.
The Assessment Center offers placement testing Monday through Friday by walk-in testing. Please check the calendar on the main Assessment Center page
, as the hours change month to month. All students must have applied to Orange Coast College and received their OCC student ID number before
taking the placement test.
English Placement Tests
There are two tests to choose from:
- for native English speakers - English (Accuplacer)
- for non-native English speakers - English as a Second Language (COMPASS)
To determine which English test to take ask yourself the following questions. If you answer "no" to one or more of the following, you should take the ESL placement test.
- Is English the first language you learned as a child?
- Did you complete most of your education in the English language?
- Do you usually speak English with your friends and/or coworkers?
Mathematics Placement Tests
There are four math levels to choose from:
- Algebra Readiness Test
- Elementary Algebra Test
- Intermediate Algebra Test
- Precalculus Test