Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions


EOPS Program 

What is EOPS?

EOPS stands for Extended Opportunity Programs and Services. EOPS is a state-funded Academic Counseling Program designed to assist eligible full-time students at the community college level. The EOPS Mission is to enhance success by providing “Over & Above” services to eligible students.

What are the EOPS Office Hours?

Fall/Spring Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm, and Friday from 9 am to 2 pm.

Intersession/Summer Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and Friday from 9 am to 2 pm.

Where is EOPS Located? The EOPS office is located in Watson Hall, fourth floor, room 443.

For more information, please call 714-432-5817 or visit our website at

What is EOPS Fax Number? It is 714-432-6808.


How to Apply

How do I get into EOPS?

First, you need to be an OCC student and follow the enrollment steps – this includes being placed in Math and English, completing OCC Online Orientation, and applying for Financial Aid. Second, make sure to check the EOPS website for our open enrollment date(s) to complete the EOPS application online.


When Can I Apply for EOPS?

For the Fall semester, applications are available online May 1st, and for the Spring semester, applications are available November 1st  at


What Are The Qualifications?

  1. Qualify for College Promise Formerly Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (B.O.G.F.W.) under options A or B or C with a zero EFC as determined by the Financial Aid Office.                  
  2. Be a California resident (AB540 Eligible)
  3. Be a full-time student (12 units per semester at OCC or be a DSPS student)
  4. Have less than 40 college applicable units preferred.  
  5. Meet EOPS State Guidelines, such as EOPS applicants must be educationally disadvantaged according to Title V, Article 2 section 56220(e)                                                    

Rules and Regulation

What are EOPS Services?

EOPS services include academic and personalized counseling, priority registration, textbook services, career, transfer planning, bilingual services, cultural events, and transportation services.

Can We Transfer EOPS from Other Colleges to OCC?

Yes, you can, but you have to fill out an EOPS Online application for OCC and a Transfer Request Form.

How Many Semesters Can I Be in EOPS before I Have to Exit?

You can participate in 6 consecutive semesters in EOPS and/or accumulate 70 AA/AS degree-applicable units before you have to exit. We do not count summer sessions as part of the 6 consecutive semesters.


Do I Have to Reapply Every Semester?

No, if you comply with the program requirements the previous semester, you do not need to reapply.


What Are The Requirements to Stay in The Program?

All EOPS students are required to complete three scheduled EOPS counseling contacts each semester (Fall/Spring).  This requirement will be satisfied by the following:

  • 1st Appointment - Completing the first counseling appointment within the first six weeks of each semester. This appointment will include the completion or update of the Student Educational Plan.
  • 2nd Appointment - Submitting the Academic Progress Report (APR) on time to an EOPS counselor each semester (Fall/Spring).
  • 3rd Appointment - Completing a third counseling appointment to discuss plans and courses for the next semester.


Can I Attend OCC and Another Campus While in The EOPS Program? If Yes, Is There Any Requirement?

Yes, you can attend OCC and another sister campus (GWC & CCC) while in the EOPS program at OCC. However, to be qualified for our services, you must have EOPS counselor approval, and 75% of your units have to be taken at OCC.


What If I Failed a Class, and did not Make a 2.00 GPA for One Semester, Am I Still Eligible for EOPS?

Yes, you are still eligible for EOPS. However, when you fail a class and do not make a 2.00 GPA for one semester, you will be on probation with the school and “warning” probation with EOPS. You need to improve your GPA to 2.00 or more to be removed from “warning” probation or you will be placed on Non-Compliance Probation (NCP).


If I Left EOPS for a Long Period, Maybe One or Two Years, Can I Reapply?

Yes, you can reapply.



Can I Get a Copy of My Transcripts?  

Yes, you can get a copy of your unofficial transcripts through MyCoast.

Who Are the Counselors is EOPS? What Are The Counselors’ Email Addresses?

Our counselors are:

+ Clyde Phillips:

+ Julie Tran:

+ Michelle Ngo:

+ Heather Codding:

+ Chris Kulik:

+ Melissa Rosado:

Can I Also See The 3rd Floor Counselors?

Yes, you are free to see any counselor, but you must complete three EOPS counseling appointments each semester.


Are There Walk-in Hours? 

No, due to limited funding, there is no longer walk-in hours for EOPS students.

How Do I Contact a Counselor If I Don’t Have An Appointment and It’s An Emergency?

Please come to the EOPS office and let us know about your emergency. There is a good chance the staff can help you out.

Will You Assign an EOPS Counselor to Each Student, or Do I Have a Choice to Request Any Counselor?

No, students are not assigned to EOPS counselors. You are free to see any counselor you want.


Book Grant

How Do I Know I Have The Book Money?

You will receive an email/Canvas notification from us, letting you know that your name has been added to the book list at the OCC bookstore. To purchase your books, you need to have a current class schedule and your student ID card.


Can I Use The Book Money to Buy Other Supplies?

No, you cannot. The book service is only for purchasing/renting new or used textbooks.


Can I Get The Book Money in Cash to Purchase Books on Amazon, Craigslist, etc.?

No, you cannot. Our book service is only for books at the OCC bookstore.


Can I Use The Book Money to Purchase a Book for a Class at Golden West College or Coastline?

If the class is not offered at OCC, you need to get permission for an EOPS Counselor,  be in at least 75% of your classes at OCC, turn in the cost of books, and a class schedule.


Can I Get Reimbursed for My Books If I Bought Them Already? Where and When?

Sometimes, you can if you are new to the EOPS Program. Please keep your receipts from the OCC bookstore and contact the EOPS office as soon as you are eligible for books.


Academic Progress Report (APR)

When Will The APR Be Emailed to Me?

In October for the Fall semester and in March for the Spring semester. Please check your OCC Gmail.

Where Can I Get a Copy of the Academic Progress Report (APR)?

We send you a copy through your OCC Gmail account, and you can always stop in the EOPS office and pick one up. 

When Is The Academic Progress Report (APR) Due?

Every Fall and Spring on a Friday at 2 pm in the 8th week of class (dates vary every semester).  Please check Canvas/OCC Gmail or the EOPS website for the deadlines.


I Have An Online Class. How Do I Get The Instructor to Complete The Academic Progress Report (APR)?

If you have the grade posted on Canvas, you can print that out and attach it to your APR form.

If your instructor does not post their grades on Canvas, you can email your instructor and ask for your current grade. If the instructor emails you the grade, you can print that email and attach it to your APR and write in; please see attached.  


I Have a Class That Has a Lecture and a Lab with Different Professors. Who Should I Get The Signature and Grade?

You are required to get signatures and grades from both lecture and lab instructors in different sections of the APR.




When Can I Make a Counseling Appointment?

New appointments become available every Monday, starting at 8:30 am for the next 2 weeks. Please call 714-432-5817 to schedule an appointment.

What Are EOPS Group Appointments?

You can attend one group appointment per semester to replace one out of three counseling appointments per semester (if available).

When Do, The Counseling Appointments, Start Counting for The Required Contacts?

Normally two weeks before the semester starts. Check with the EOPS staff for the starting date.

When Is The Deadline for My First Appointment?

It varies each semester.

When Do I Have to Have My Last Appointment?

It varies every semester. Usually, you have time until the last Friday of each semester to complete your required appointments.

Parking Services

Does EOPS Pay for Parking Permit?

Yes, please ask how.


How Can I Get My CSU/UC/Private Application Fees Waived?

As you complete your application(s) to transfer, please remember to fill out the page asking about your income. Most EOPS students will qualify for an automatic fee waiver. If you do not qualify for some reason, please fill out the Request for Application Fee Waiver Form located on the CSU & UC application website and write in “I am an EOPS student at OCC.” Ask the EOPS office for a Letter of Certification and submit that with the hard copy of the fee waiver application.


When I Graduate, How Do I Get My Cap and Gown?

During your last semester, remember to fill out the EOPS Exit Form with us and submit a Petition for Graduation to Admissions & Records during the graduation petitioning period. After receiving your graduation packet from the Graduation office, bring your Cap and Gown ticket to the EOPS office to receive a fee waiver for the OCC Bookstore cap and gown.


Does EOPS Pay for The Honor Society’s Fees?

Yes*, EOPS will pay for your honor society membership dues to join. However, we do not cover any regalia. You may fill out the specific honor society application, check the box you are an EOPS student, and turn it into the Garrison Honors Office. EOPS will review your file to ensure you comply by keeping up with program requirements (Appointments, GPA, etc.). If you are, EOPS can cover fees, and the Honors office will contact you with further details about your membership.

*This service offered is based on State funding and availability. This service is not guaranteed.



Bus Pass

What Are The Requirements for Receiving a Bus Pass?     

  • Must be an EOPS student
  • Currently enrolled in 12 units, unless you are a DSPS student.
  • Don’t have an OCC parking permit under your name.

Note: Students who drive a car are not eligible to receive bus passes.


CARE Program

What Does CARE Stand For?

CARE stands for Cooperative Agencies and Resources for Education.


What does CARE do? How and when can I get into the CARE program?

CARE is administered by the EOPS Program and serves the unique needs of single parents designated as head of household. When students are accepted into CARE, they must have at least one child, be a full-time student, and be a current recipient of CalWORKs/TANF/AFDC (or their child(ren) can be a recipient of CalWORKs/TANF/AFDC). All CARE students must be accepted into the EOPS program and meet all the EOPS eligibility requirements. The application period is open year-round for CARE/DSPS/CalWORKs and Foster Youth students.


How Can I Get a Meal or Gas Card?

If you are accepted into the CARE program, you will be notified in person or email how to get a meal or gas card. Both Meal and Gas cards are evenly distributed to CARE students based on their continued eligibility and funding available from the state.


Where Is The CARE Program Located?

The CARE program is located in Watson Hall, fourth floor, room 443.

For more information, please call 714-432-5173 or visit our website at




How Can I Get into The EOPS Honors Club?

If you are an EOPS student and have a 3.5 or higher GPA, please contact, EOPS Office at 714-432-5817


How Can I Get into the CARE Club?

You must be a CARE student or a previous CARE student.


I'm Not Getting Any MyCoast Gmail Updates from EOPS. What Can I Do to Fix It?

Please visit the EOPS office to verify your MyCoast Gmail address.




What is UMOJA?

UMOJA is a program utilizing promising practices dedicated to enhancing African Americans' cultural and educational experience and other students to promote student success for all students. With educators' help committed to academic success, UMOJA, with an ethic of love, intentionally and deliberately educates the whole student - body, mind, and spirit.