Orange Coast College Scholarships
The Application period has ended for the 2016/2017 OCC Scholarships
Be sure to apply next year from mid-December until the end of February.
Application period for 2016/2017 Scholarships is from 12/7/2015 - 02/28/2016
Online Scholarship Application Instructions
Orange Coast College scholarships are for current OCC students in all disciplines. Your scholarship application must be fully completed and submitted in order for your application to be considered for any scholarship opportunity.
Your application will automatically be applied to qualified general scholarships. However, there may be a few additional scholarships that you may be qualified for, which require an additional essay as it pertains to that particular scholarship. Please follow the application instructions if you wish to apply for these additional scholarships.
1. To begin the process of filling out a scholarship application, please click the link below:
The 2016/2017 OCC Scholarship Application Period has ended
Please do this only after you have read all of the following instructions.
2. Reference Forms are now part of the application process and is requested via email to your Recommenders
Two (2) Reference Forms - REQUIRED.
Once you've entered their email address, the system will automatically send them your request. They fill out the form electronically and upload to your scholarship application. You can log in to your application and check any time before the deadline date to see if your recommenders have completed your Reference Form. Deadline date: Midnight, Sunday 2/28/2016.
3. Personal Essay --REQUIRED.
You may now type your Personal Essay directly onto your application. However, it would be better if you gather your thoughts then type it on a Word document and copy and paste in to the scholarship application.
Please limit your essay to 500 words using 12 pt. font.
The essay should include :
- Any additional information you feel will help us know you better.
- Include educational and personal goals, life history, significant obstacles you have overcome, personal and financial needs that are unique to you, and any special circumstances that have had a significant impact on your academic performance.
- Emphasize events that have negatively or positively affected your cumulative grade point average.
4. Other Colleges Transcript(s) (Not OCC). If you are applying for a “transfer” scholarship and you have listed that you’ve attended and completed units from other college(s) to meet your transfer requirements. It is required that we see the other college(s) transcript(s).
It is your responsibility to make sure the Counseling File Room located on the 3rd Floor of Watson Hall has a copy of the evaluated transcript of each college that you have attended on file. There is no need for you to upload these documents into the system. The Scholarship Office will upload them into your application.
OCC Transcript. The Scholarship Office will automatically upload it into your application.
CRITERIA FOR APPLICATION
General Scholarship for Continuing Students:
- Returning to OCC Fall of 2016 completed at least 12 units with letter grades at OCC by the end of the Fall 2015.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better
- Completing a minimum of six (6) units during the Spring semester 2016 with at least a 3.0 semester GPA
General Scholarship for Transfer Students:
Be transferring to a four-year institution in the Fall 2016 or to a program not offered at OCC where a certificate or degree can be received. If you aren't sure you will be transferring, check with an OCC Counselor
- Have completed 42 units or more by the end of the Fall 2015, with at least 24 units of those units completed at OCC
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better
- Complete a minimum of six (6) units during the Spring semester 2016 with at least a 3.0 semester GPA
- Have not previously applied as a "Transfer" student
Students who are enrolled in certificate programs in Technology, Consumer & Health Sciences or Visual & Performing Arts may also use the online scholarship application.
For those students enrolled in Certificate Programs, GPA requirements are a cumulative 3.0 and above with a few exceptions.
Fine Arts and Photography majors may also apply and submit artwork directly to the department for review.
PDF documents require Adobe Reader Free download here.
The following documents may be helpful when writing your scholarship essay.
FastWeb Tips on Writing a Scholarship Essay PDF Format
FastWeb Tips on Writing a Scholarship Essay MSWord Format
Writing a Personal Statement PDF Format
by Chuck Whitechurch, Honors Transfer Council of California
If you have any questions, please contact the Scholarship Office at
Orange Coast College Scholarships are funded by generous donors to the Orange Coast College Foundation. For information on how you can make a scholarship donation to support OCC students please contact Doug Bennett at 714-432-5126 or firstname.lastname@example.org