The Transfer Opportunity Program (TOP) was originally designed for members of historically underrepresented groups (African-American, Native-American, and Latino/Hispanic). Currently, TOP is open to all students who are incoming freshmen, first-generation college students, and have an interest in transferring to a four-year institution. TOP's goal is to recruit, retain, and transfer qualifying students to a four-year institution. We are committed to providing TOP students with a support system that will enhance their experience at Orange Coast College.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
In order to be a TOP student, applicants must be incoming freshmen and have an interest in transferring to a four-year institution. The program is designed to meet the needs of first-generation college students.
The Transfer Opportunity Program recruits incoming freshmen in the spring and summer prior to their first fall semester enrollment at OCC.
Steps to apply to be in TOP:
Step 1 Apply to OCC
Step 2 Complete OCC's online orientation
Step 3 Receive placement for math & English
Students interested in TOP will need to schedule a TOP Orientation.
Completion of Steps 1-3 is required to sign-up for a TOP orientation.
TOP Deadline to complete all steps:
Thursday, March 28, 2019
TOP Orientations will be held April 1-5, 2019
TOP REQUIREMENTS ARE:
- Attend a TOP orientation and complete a Student Educational Plan with a TOP Counselor
- Complete Counseling A105 (C or better)
- Complete spring semester Counseling class (P)
SOME OF OUR SERVICES INCLUDE:
1. TOP Orientation – students will receive assistance with course selection and registration, counseling, and create a Student Educational Plan. This orientation will cover topics vital to student success.
2. Continued Academic Support – is provided throughout a student's time at Orange Coast to aid with their academic and career development. Each student's performance is monitored to assure success by the following:
- Counseling 105 - This course provides students with an overview of the transfer process and the basic study skills needed to achieve academic success and to transfer. This course is a requirement for all entering TOP students and is UC and CSU transferrable.
- Spring Counseling Class – This course is designed to help TOP students develop the skills necessary to navigate the transfer process. Topics include academic planning from a transfer perspective, overview of potentially complex transfer issues, and transfer admissions representative speakers. Currently known as Counseling A199.
- Counseling and Peer Mentoring - Appointments with trained counselors are available for TOP students needing personal and career counseling. Counselors and peer mentors are available on a walk-in basis.
3. University Campus Tours -TOP students are regularly given the opportunity to visit and tour four-year college and university campuses. Transportation to and from these events is provided.
4. TOP Information Network - TOP provides students with transfer information through various online, email, and telephone media. TOP also provides information on other academic, social, and cultural events.
TOP Center - TOP students can utilize our comfortable work space for:
- quiet and group study
- computer stations
- a place to connect with other TOP students
- multicultural library
Interested in TOP?
- Call Us: (714) 432-5792
- Email Us: email@example.com
- Visit Us: 2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
- Watson Hall - 2nd Floor: Room 230