Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Working in the U.S.

On campus Employment:

Location matters! On-campus employment must take place on the premises of the I-20 issuing institution (on the OCC campus), such as the Student Center dining hall or an academic department.  This may also include on-campus commercial firms that provide direct student services, such as Starbucks and the Bookstore. This DOES NOT include a construction firm that is building on campus.

On-campus employment Requirements

  1. Must be a current F-1 student, pursuing a full course of study
  2. Cannot exceed 19 hours per week while school is in session; during official school break, cannot exceed 28 hours
  3. Does not have to be related to course of study
  4. Must maintain 2.5 GPA minimum

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment benefit for F-1 students that meet certain eligibility requirements and is specifically intended to allow students to gain experience in their chosen field of study before completing the program.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Student is currently in valid F-1 status and has been enrolled 1 full academic year (fall and spring semester)
  • Must have a 2.5 GPA minimum OR Internship must be required by major for graduation
  • Student must enroll in a course that requires an internship or fieldwork component. Internship may only be approved for the same term of enrollment
  • Must enroll in a full course of study or be approved for a Reduced Course Load

General Guidelines

  • Each student is responsible for finding their own internship opportunity
  • Internship must be in student's field of study
  • Internship may begin no earlier than first day of classes for the term and must end by last day of classes for the term
  • May not begin working until CPT has been approved and CPT I-20 has been issued by Global Engagement Center
  • May work no more than 20 hour per week
  • Must maintain valid F-1 status
  • CPT is subject to final review and approval by the Global Engagement Center. 

Steps to Request CPT

  1. Meet with an International Student Advisor at the Global Engagement Center to review your eligibility
  2. Attend an Internship Academy Orientation (Watson Hall 3rd floor; Job Center) if an internship is not required by your major –- OR— Meet with your major department's Program Coordinator if an internship is required by your major
  3. Enroll in appropriate internship course
  4. Complete the CPT form with your employer and faculty advisor/Program Coordinator and submit complete CPT request form to the Global Engagement Center
  5. Wait 5-10 business days to obtain a new I-20 with CPT authorization and begin internship

Changes to your CPT

Please report any of the following changes to the Global Engagement Center:

  1. Change of employment dates (i.e. if your internship ends sooner than expected)
  2. New Employer – if you change your employer, submit a new CPT form
  3. If you expect you will receive an incomplete in the course