Orange Coast College’s Guardian Scholars Program is committed to supporting ambitious college-bound students exiting the Foster Youth System. Our goal is to prove a comprehensive program that contributes to the quality and depth of the student’s community college experience. We serve as a resource for young adults by assisting in their development and equipping them with skills necessary to transfer to a four year university, or to pursue an education in the vocation of their choice.
Guardian Scholars is a program to support current and former foster youth/ wards of court by providing a “One Stop Shop” to answer questions related to education, financial aid, housing, food, and other educational or basic necessities. We’ve established a place where students that have come from this background can comfortably talk with an advocate and to each other.
What makes this scholarship experience rewarding is that the staff and faculty involved in the program are committed to the success of the students. It is designed to provide financial and personal support to ensure that full advantage is taken of college life, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Student is currently or has resided in Foster Care
- Student can provide proof being in Foster Care System
- Must be 26 years old or younger
- New Student orientation
- Friendship and Peer support
- Financial Aid application assistance
- Book Money
- Assistance finding housing in the community
- Meal Cards
- Workshops designed to ensure success in college and careers
- Registration/Health Fee Waiver
*Benefits are dependent upon funding and may change semester by semester.