Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Step 4--Student Education Plan

​About SEP's

The fourth step that must be completed before the deadline to receive Priority Registration is for students to meet with a counselor and create a Student Education Plan (SEP). An SEP is a plan of courses that should be taken in order to reach a student's educational goal. During the advising session, counselors will discuss educational goals, appropriate course selection, and may refer students to appropriate support services. Counselors will use this information to create a Student Education Plan (SEP). There are two types of plans: a first semester plan (an abbreviated SEP) or a multi-year plan (a comprehensive SEP).

When To Meet with a Counselor

Students should create this plan after completing their placement test and online orientation, as students will need their English and math placement test results prior to meeting with their counselor.  

Setting Up Your SEP Appointment 

In order to make this plan, students should schedule an appointment with a counselor.  Counseling appointments are scheduled a week in advance; to schedule an appointment you can call (714) 432-5078 or make an appointment online​ on the Counseling Department's website. 

Please keep in mind the following for your appointments:
  • When you arrive at the Counseling Center for your appointment, check in at the Front Counter.
  • Please be on time to your counseling appointment. The appointments are scheduled every half hour, so if you are late you will be cutting your appointment short. Out of respect for your fellow students, the counselor will not be able to spend time with you beyond the next appointment.
  • If you have attended other colleges, please be sure that you have submitted an OFFICIAL transcript for all colleges attended to the Enrollment Center prior to your counseling appointment.
  • If you have attended OCC in previous semesters, please print and bring a copy of your OCC unofficial transcript to your counseling appointment. You have access to your unofficial transcript through your MyOCC account, under “Other Student Resources” (select “Unofficial Transcript” and click “Submit” to see your transcript).

Using Your SEP​

Once a plan has been created, students can view their SEP and track their progress in DegreeWorks, via MyOCC. To access an SEP, students should log into  MyOCC, select the “Student” tab, and then click on “Launch DegreeWorks.” There, students can view which courses they have taken thus far, view transfer credits that have been applied to their degree, view which perquisites and/or corequisites are required for various courses, and estimate how many semesters it will take them to graduate​.

Students are encouraged to follow up with their counselors each semester in order to update/modify/change their plan. Students can find more information about counseling services and academic resources on the “Follow-Up Services” tab.​