1. Fill out an application
2. Have a phone or in-person interview
Once your application is submitted, the county has 30 days to determine if you are eligible. During the 30 days, the county staff will interview and go over the application with you either over the phone or in person.
3. Submit verifications
Below are examples of items the county may ask you for verification. You will have 10 days to turn in the documents.
- A copy of your identity (driver's license/ identification card/passport/birth certificate/ school ID)
- Financial Aid Summary (Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST) page that shows Federal Work Study
- OR Student Aid Report (current academic year shows Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0)
- Proof of where you live (driver's license /ID card/utility bill/rent receipt)
- Proof of income (pay stubs/ unemployment award letter/disability benefit)
- Social security numbers (for everyone who is applying)
- Proof of expenses (mortgage or rent/utility and other bills)
- Proof of a disability. Examples include an award letter for a disability-based benefit
If approved for CalFresh, you will receive an EBT card. You can use an EBT card like a debit card at most places to purchase food.
Click here for CalFresh questions or application assistance.