Program Mission Statement
Our mission is to
provide an active learning environment that empowers students to teach
yoga to inclusive populations, and develop their own personal yoga
practice to enhance their quality of life.
Orange Coast College's Yoga Instructor 200-hour certification training is a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program which provides students with the skills required to teach yoga to safely and effectively teach yoga to a variety of levels and abilities. The OCC Yoga Instructor Training program features an inclusive curriculum that focuses on philosophy, anatomy, theory, personal practice, teaching the three stages of life, sequencing, theming and the business of yoga. Once completed, the student is prepared for employment in health clubs, spas, yoga/dance studios, and self-employment as a private yoga instructor. Recent graduates have been hired at Align Pilates and Yoga Center, Asteya Fitness, CrossFit, LA Fitness, Luminous Nutrition, UC Irvine Campus Recreation, and the YMCA Newport Beach.
This program is also beneficial for those who are active or interested in the health and wellness industry, as they will learn how to apply yoga techniques that enhance overall physical, mental, and emotional well-being. OCC's Yoga Instructor Training Program meets the requirements for the professional membership and trade association, Yoga Alliance, which registers students as yoga teachers (RYT).
The 200-hour OCC Yoga Teacher Training is offered each year since the Fall 2017. The certificate program consists of four classes, and one practice class. Students are strongly encouraged to take Hatha Yoga Level 1 before enrolling in the certificate program or have at least six months of consistent yoga practice.
Hatha Yoga Level 2
Yoga Methodology 1
Theory of Yoga
Yoga Methodology 2
Please visit the Schedule of Classes for course availability.
Fun Yoga Facts
- There are 36.7 million U.S. yoga practitioners*
- 80 million Americans say they are likely to try yoga over the next 12 months*
students are more likely to say they have good mental clarity, are
strong, have good balance and dexterity, give back to the community and
live and eat sustainably*
- Flexibility, stress reduction, and overall fitness are top reasons to start and keep practicing yoga*
- OCC's yoga program is about 1/10th the cost of a training at a private studio
- 100% of our graduates say that one of the best parts about the program is the new friendships developed from the training
- 100% of graduates say they would recommend our training to their friends
- OCC yoga faculty has over 7000 hours of teaching experience combined.
*Study highlights are from the 2016 Yoga In America Study by Yoga Alliance and Yoga Journal.
For questions, please contact:
Ashley McKeachie, MA, C-IAYT, E-RYT 500,
Heather Pecora, MA, RYT-200, Trainer