The DSPS program provides support services and educational accommodations to students with disabilities so that they can have full and equitable access to the community college experience.
DSPS Student Rights:
- Receive services and reasonable accommodations based on disability-related educational limitations according to Section 504, Section 508, ADA, and Title 5 Guidelines
- Receive confidential treatment of disability-related information
- I understand that the DSPS office may release information to professionals who have an educational need to know under (FERPA).
- Be treated with dignity and respect
- Appeal decisions made by the DSPS Office
- Contact DSPS immediately in cases where a grievance is related to an academic accommodation. Student grievance procedures may be found here: Orange Coast College Complaint Process
- Participation in DSPS shall be entirely voluntary
- Participating in DSPS does not preclude the student from participating in any other course program, or activity offered by the college
- Appeal decisions made by the DSPS Office
- Title lX
DSPS Student Responsibilities:
- I agree to provide DSPS with the necessary documentation for disability verification prior to meeting with a DSPS Counselor for a DSPS intake meeting
- I understand that I must meet with a DSPS counselor at least once a year to review my Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP)
- I agree to request/use approved accommodations in a timely/responsible manner each semester
- I agree to notify DSPS of any appointment cancellations
- I agree to return any DSPS equipment that is checked out at the end of each semester
- I agree to treat every DSPS employee with dignity and respect
- I understand I must check my student email account for important information from DSPS & OCC
- I understand I must meet OCC academic standards
- I agree to maintain behavior appropriate for an educational setting as outlined in the OCC Student Code of Conduct
I understand that certain accommodations have additional conditions that must be abided by for the continuation of services students must abide by.
SUSPENSION OR TERMINATION OF DSPS SERVICES
Eligible students may be denied services or accommodations through DSPS.
Inappropriate use of services is defined as failure to comply with the OCC Student Code of Conduct (Board Policy 3902) and/or failure to comply with the policies and procedures of individual services that the student is using. Failure to comply with the terms stated within each specific service area may result in the suspension of that service.
- Services or accommodations may be terminated in the middle of the semester.
- Prior to the termination of service, the student will be notified in writing that unless he/she meets with a DSPS Counselor/Director to discuss the area of concern, the service will be automatically terminated for fourteen (14) academic days from the date of the letter.
- At the meeting with DSPS Counselor/Director, the student will sign a contract to continue/resume DSPS Services, which outlines the guidelines for continuing services.
- Suspended services may be reinstated during the current semester only on the authorization of the DSPS Director and only if there are extenuating circumstances that warrant the reinstatement of the service.
- Reinstatement of services for subsequent semesters can be considered.
LEGAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF DSPS
Title 5 Section 56010(b) of the California Code of regulations indicates that a district may adopt a written policy providing for the suspension or termination of DSPS Services when a student fails to comply with responsible use of DSPS Services, service provision policies, and measurable progress policies. Such policies shall provide for written notice to the student prior to suspension or termination and shall afford the student an opportunity to appeal the decision. Each student shall be given a copy of this policy upon first applying for services from DSPS.
I understand that I must fulfill the requirements of my Students Rights and Responsibilities in order to participate in DSPS. I understand the consequences of failing to comply with the rules and the responsible use of DSPS Services. I understand that I will be notified in writing before action is taken to suspend services. I affirm that I understand and agree with the Students Rights and Responsibilities and DSPS responsibilities of students, and will abide by them.